Plymouth, MI US
Cost Estimator Role Description:
Works closely with Sales, Engineering, and other Cross-Functional departments to develop competitive pricing analysis, comprehensive cost build-up, and pro forma financial scenarios for internal decision-making and external quotes to the customer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of Cost Estimator:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Also, additional job duties may be assigned.
- Collaborates with Sales Engineers and Die Designers, as well as plant, manufacturing engineering, and purchasing, in preparation of cost estimations and quoted prices for potential new business;
- Completes costing information, to include analysis and generation of costed BOM' s, identifying exceptions and assumptions, and identifying and documenting all unique costs and issues.
- Analyzes quotations for content in addition to preparing complete costs analyses. Defines needs, clarifies discrepancies, and determines the structure of the Bill of Materials (BOM), if applicable.
- Reviews all labor, material, NRE estimates, and rate structures before submitting; computes P & L, calculates markup, and determines selling price that aligns with financial metrics.
- Works with Purchasing group to issue RFQ' s to candidate suppliers and/or processors for components, sub-assemblies, and/or services for potential new business quotations based on customer specifications and designs, and achieve best overall value for the company;
- Prepares and maintains a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Performs make-or-buy analysis for any component required in the quotation of potential new business;
- Provides executive management a quote package analysis focusing on profitability, return on investment, and cash generation for each project;
- Verifies accuracy and finalizes quote packages for submission to customer. Presents information to the sales team and/or Estimating Manager prior to customer submission;
- Develops and maintains cost reduction programs and establishes reporting formats based on customer requirements. Participates in setting targets and pricing to improve margins.
- Contributes to VA/VE initiatives.
- Provides cost impacts for engineering changes through the add/delete process. Tracks the standard costed bill of material that consists of: material cost, freight cost, labor cost, burden costs, and all customer-formulated value-added.
- Supports and justifies cost/pricing structure to the customer as required, under the direction of the department manager and with the coordination of Sales department.
- Provides purchasing with target cost goals. Supports purchasing in evaluating vendor quotes.
Additional duties may include:
- Assisting in customer cost breakdown completion.
- Creating PowerPoint presentation for customers and vendors.
- Participate in internal and external QS 9000 or TS 9001 audits.
- Logging new RFQs into designated RFQ tracking system.
Employees are expected to follow all standards listed below:
- Consistently exhibit appropriate attendance habits, working the hours necessary to perform the job.
- Organize and maintain efficiency of personal work area.
- Provide necessary, accurate, and timely feedback of all pertinent information to co-workers and management.
- Effectively communicate with co-workers and management personnel to enhance teamwork and communication initiatives.
- Consistently adhere to and support company policies and procedures, including ISO14001, IATF16949, and safety regulations.
- Accept instructions and duties in a positive manner.
Work environment characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employees also may be subject to certain environments such as working near loud moving mechanical parts. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following environments include:
- Office Environment
The noise level in the working environment will be light where there is little to no traffic with computers and printers.
To effectively carry out duties and responsibilities in the job position the following education, experience, or certifications are preferred:
Bachelor' s degree (B.S. Or B.A) from a four-year college or university in accounting, finance, or engineering; or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Minimum four (4) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in automotive manufacturing/engineering related environment.
Minimum two (2) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in product costing or cost accounting.
Additional Skills Required:
To effectively carry out duties and responsibilities in the job position the following skills are required:
- Must be able to use Excel, Word, Outlook, Microsoft Project, and basic office equipment.
- Advanced PC skills, expanded abilities in use of spreadsheet & database applications preferred, specifically Microsoft Excel.
- Speak effectively with fellow employees.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, etc.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw varying conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of information in technical, mathematical, and diagrammatic and database application forms.
- Ability to compute P&L, calculate mark-up, and determine selling price.
- Detail oriented self-starter, able to work in a very fast-paced & dynamic environment.
- Manufacturing facility background or understanding of metal forming and assembly operations preferred.
- Work independently
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT:
This assignment is a US Government Contract which requires all applicants to be US Citizens.
NO SUBCONTRACT REQUIREMENT:
No third-party applicants will be considered. If you are a third party contracting company, please do not respond to this position.
Meet Your Recruiter
Crisi Mintz joined the Contract Professionals, Inc. team as a Technical Recruiter in January 2023, in order to support efforts to bring the Arizona recruitment team to scale.
A Zillow 5-Star Premier Agent, Crisi has been a licensed realtor for more than 15 years. During her career in real estate, her fiduciary responsibilities included residential, commercial, and investor clients for complex real estate transitions. She also facilitated timely closings, conducted complex negotiations, developed and executed marketing strategies, and managed budgets. Throughout her career, Crisi developed a reputation as an expert salesperson and master problem solver.
This is not Crisi’s first time at Contract Professionals, Inc. Crisi first joined the Contract Professionals, Inc. team in 1993. She was recruited by the management team to sit on the “Operations Action Team” in pursuit of ISO-9000.
Crisi holds BA in Business Administration from Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan.