Network Software BSP Engineer
Sterling Heights, MI US
About the Role:
The Network Software Engineer Embedded OS/BSP works in the Embedded Systems team that creates the foundational technologies that enable Ground Vehicle Combat platform/products to communicate with each other and with military defense data networks reliably, efficiently, securely, and privately.
Due to the nature of the work, this role may require on-site presence up to 100%.
Responsibilities of the role include:
The team achieves this through invention and implementation of current and new technologies, collaboration inside and outside the defense spectrums, and standardization across the industry. You, as a talented and energetic software engineer will join our Embedded OS/BSP team with an emphasis on Networking Infrastructure. The team is responsible for designing, enhancing and maintaining the core networking stack OS components used in the majority of Ground Vehicle Combat platforms, including but not limited to Abrams, Stryker and Derivative Vehicles and platforms.
- Responsibility includes networking APIs, protocols, as well as performance optimizations of various networking layers.
- The ideal candidate should possess an excellent conceptual understanding of networking stack internals and their interactions within the Operating System, both towards applications as well as network device drivers.
- Good working knowledge of TCP/IP and system level software design and implementation experience is also essential.
- The position will require the right candidate to determine the appropriate compromise between several competing factors such as performance (throughput and latency), energy efficiency (CPU and memory usage), ease of use and security.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications / What you must have
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar discipline.
- 7 years' experience in a Software role.
- Commercial networking software and/or hardware products development experience.
- Strong software design and development skills, including C or C++ programming language experience.
- Up-to-date and thorough knowledge of:
- Link-layer technologies (e.G. Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Cellular, etc.)
- TCP/IP protocol suite
- Networking stack implementations (e.G. Linux, RTOS, FPGA, etc.)
- System level and network troubleshooting skills
Additional Skills desired:
- System level development experience on OS or RTOS Application Experience with user-space networking stack technologies and frameworks (e.G. Netmap, VPP, Tactical Targeting Network, Strategic, Operational, and Tactical Network Domains, etc.).
- IP routing and NAT/Firewall Software switches API development experience Hardware offload experience Wireless networking technologies and standards (Wi-Fi and cellular) Network debugging tools (e.G. Packet sniffers, protocol analyzers) System profiling and performance optimization experience.
- The candidate needs to be able to work in a fast-paced environment, operate gracefully under stress, handle multiple assignments in parallel, and be self-driven to be effective in an DoD (Department of Defense) environment with little overhead.
- The candidate also needs to show initiative, be able to take ownership of a problem area, and demonstrate an ability to understand the role of the group's technology in the larger context of the product and network environment.
- Strong multi-tasking skills.
- The candidate will need to have strong written and oral communication skills.
- This position may require eligibility to obtain a US security clearance. (Non-US Citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance).
- Previous experience working on ground combat Vehicles desired.
- Must be able to work occasional evening and/or weekend overtime as required.
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT:
This assignment is a US Government Contract which requires all applicants to be US Citizens.
NO SUBCONTRACT REQUIREMENT:
No third-party applicants will be considered. If you are a third party contracting company, please do not respond to this position.
Meet Your Recruiter
As a proud U.S. Army veteran with an extensive 28-year service record, Jimmy Tallent dedicated two decades of his life to active duty and an additional eight years in the Army Reserve, contributing his time, talent and commitment to various vital aspects of military service. His journey has been diverse, spanning roles in aviation, transportation, and recruiting, allowing him to develop a versatile skill set and a deep understanding of the military landscape.
Originally hailing from the city of Chattanooga, TN, Jimmy embarked on his military career with a passion for service and a commitment to excellence. Throughout his tenure, he served in dynamic and challenging roles, which included the precision and expertise demanded by the aviation industry, the strategic logistics of transportation, and the interpersonal and leadership skills required in the recruiting field.
In addition to his rich military experience, he pursued and earned a degree in business management, further enhancing his knowledge and capabilities. With this academic achievement, coupled with his practical experience, positioned him as a professional with a comprehensive understanding of both military and business landscapes.
Today, Jimmy is excited to leverage his leadership, organizational, and strategic skills at Contract Professionals, Inc. Jimmy is driven by his commitment to excellence, his discipline instilled through years of military service, and his passion for overcoming challenges. He approaches every opportunity with the same dedication and integrity, which defined his military career.