Specialist Power System Design Engineer
Sterling Heights, MI US
The Electrical Power System Engineer will be accountable for developing Vehicle Power Systems (Power Systems include generation, storage, distribution and management), composing product fabrication requirements and test plans/reports. They will also support lab testing and on-vehicle trouble shooting and issue resolution. Applicant will ensure the design has been fully defined, is traceable and can be validated during testing, down to the components and software. They will also ensure all tasks and quality products are completed on-time.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop/design intelligent electrical power distribution and management systems for military vehicles.
- Support development, design, and build of electrical power distribution and management hardware components.
- Model and simulate power distribution and management systems.
- Write electrical power system design requirements and associated interface control documents.
- Write electrical power hardware component development and/or design requirements and product fabrication documents.
- Write test requirements, test plans, and test procedures.
- Perform tests in the laboratory and on vehicles as required for power distribution and management systems and their associated power distribution hardware components, and provide detailed test reports as required.
- Support vehicle integration of power distribution and management systems and associated hardware.
- Troubleshoot vehicle electrical power system problems.
- Troubleshoot electrical power system hardware problems.
- Gather technical information, analyze technical problems, develop technical solutions, and implement technical solutions.
- Conduct and/or participate in peer reviews of schematics and other drawings, specifications/requirements, interface control documents, I/O matrices, etc., as required.
- Participate in various trade studies.
- Must be able to obtain a US Security Clearance within reasonable time of hire.
- Experience with electrical power systems (power generation, power distribution, power management, energy storage) on automotive or military vehicles, including the specification, development, design, testing, integration and troubleshooting of vehicle electrical power systems and their associated hardware components.
- Familiarity with various communication busses, especially experience with CAN bus, along with the ability to troubleshoot CAN bus related issues associated with hardware components of electrical power systems.
- Experience in military and/or auto energy storage, power generation, distribution, and management at both the system, subsystem and hardware requirements development level.
- Ability to use Engineering Development and Test Tools.
- Experience using CANoe and CANalyzer tools.
- Ability to work and/or lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with military and/or automotive electronics/hardware.
- Must have the ability to understand customer requirements and the ability to further incorporate them into subsystem designs and/or hardware concepts and designs.
- Must be able to handle task conflict and ambiguity and work with minimum supervision.
- Occasional work in shop, laboratory and manufacturing areas is required.
- Must meet the Anthropometric Size Requirements (ASR) to entry into the driver' s station or into an enclosed military vehicle (under 6' 3 " AND under 260 lbs. WITH steel toed boots and coveralls on) and be able to carry test equipment weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to travel via commercial air and ground transportation with occasional out-of-town travel to suppliers/vendors and remote sites.
- Able to work a normal work week during normal working hours and overtime upon request to meet critical tasks and/or deadlines.
- Qualified in MS Word and Excel.
- Must have proficient verbal and written communications skills in English with the ability to implement and deliver technical presentations.
- Must have good interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with many of the following required:
- Power generation, power distribution, power management, batteries/energy storage, power switching devices, power control devices
- LiIon technology
- Motor control devices
- High power electronics
- Serial data busses (especially CAN bus)
- Single board computers
- Digital I/O cards, analog I/O cards
- Embedded systems.
- Experience in Analog and Digital Circuit Design of high power (28, 270, 600 Vdc) switching components/electronics, DC/DC converters, inverters, and motor controllers is highly desired.
- Experience using MATLAB is preferred.
- Bachelor' s Degree in Electrical Engineering is required; Power Engineering major/minor is preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years of applicable experience. Fewer years will be considered with an advanced degree.
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT:
This assignment is a US Government Contract which requires all applicants to be US Citizens.
NO SUBCONTRACT REQUIREMENT:
No third-party applicants will be considered. If you are a third-party contracting company, please do not respond to this position.
Meet Your Recruiter
Recruiting Team Leader of Defense Branch
With over 14 years of recruiting experience, Greg specializes in recruiting military veterans for Contract Professionals, Inc.'s defense clients nationwide (CONUS)and overseas (OCONUS). Part of his job is to also mentor new CPI recruiters and assist them in meeting their career objectives.
Greg takes great pride in his ability to support our military veterans, as they navigate the transition process. This includes providing transitioning military personnel with job information and vital career guidance, after they are discharged from the military. Greg regularly works to support transitioning military personnel and veterans by matching their skills to a rewarding career within their area of expertise.
Greg holds a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from Western Michigan University.
He enjoys golf, cooking, travel, music and most sports! Go Broncos!